HUD Housing Programs for the Disabled

Hud housing

This article is the help you or anyone living with a disability, learn about HUD housing programs for the disabled. Although many HUD programs give preferential treatment to the disabled, some programs are still set aside specifically for this disabled people. Keep reading this article to learn more about these programs. Below we share our research and experience in applying for them.

HUD’s assistance programs are either project-based or tenant-based and include special programs designated for disabled people. Programs such as Section 811 for funding housing projects for the disabled, designated housing choice vouchers, and certain development programs, all exist to ensure that disabled people or families can live comfortably without discrimination.

What Are Designated Housing Choice Vouchers?

Designated housing choice vouchers are basically section 8 tenant-based vouchers provided for non-elderly disabled individuals and families who are low-income earners. It is often referred to as Non-Elderly Disabled (NED) vouchers.

To be eligible for the NED program, at least one member of your household must be disabled, and the disabled member must be the head, co-head, or spouse. If the disabled household member is a child, then you do not qualify. All other traditional section 8 requirements also apply in terms of income, citizenship status, and criminal records.

This program’s application can be made directly to the waiting list through any of the regional administering agencies.

What Are Certain Development Vouchers?

Most housing assistance programs favor elderly families. Such programs often give preference to elderly disabled families over non-elderly disabled families. For this reason, the Certain Development Vouchers were created.

These vouchers are administered strictly to non-elderly disabled families who live in certain developments that establish preferences for elderly families and without any form of housing assistance. The certain developments covered by this program include various housing projects under Section 8, Section 202, Section 221, and Section 236.

Families that qualify for the Certain Development Vouchers include non-elderly households with a disabled person who is the head of household, co-head, or spouse and is on the waiting list for housing development under this program.

The non-elderly disabled household doesn’t necessarily have to be on the PHA’s HCV waiting list to receive rental assistance.

Other non-elderly disabled families living in the environs who would qualify for a housing unit may also be eligible. Such families must, however, apply to the PHA’s HCV waiting list.

Eligible families must also qualify in terms of income according to HUD’s established low-income limit for the area. As a general rule, the family’s gross income must not exceed this set limit.

Once a family has obtained a certain development voucher, they will have to search for a suitable unit themselves. The chosen unit must have reasonable rent, meet the housing quality standards and other program requirements.

Once approved, the PHA will then sign a HAP contract with the property owner and begin to pay a certain portion of the family’s rent, which is usually the difference between 30 percent of the family’s income and the determined payment standard.

Just like with the regular housing choice vouchers, you can relocate to a new house and still continue to receive assistance. The unit you decide to lease also doesn’t necessarily have to be within the PHA jurisdiction who administered the voucher.

A number of HUD housing programs are designed to make acquiring accommodation easier for individuals and families with disabilities. Since the regular housing assistance programs often favor elderly disabled families, most of these assistance programs specifically for the disabled favor non-elderly low-income families.

Application for these programs often needs to be done directly to the Agency in charge and not through a third party. Qualified applicants in the Designated and Certain Development Housing Choice Vouchers are also charged with the responsibility of finding a suitable unit to live in.

These vouchers for the disabled are accepted in many units, and some online platforms may be helpful in finding one. You may also be able to get assistance in searching for a unit from the agency in charge of the program.

Where to Apply for a Cetain Development Voucher and Non-Elderly Disabled (NED) Vouchers

If feel after reading this article that you are eligible for a Certain Development Voucher or NED Vouchers, contact your nearest Public Housing Agency. You can use the following link for HUD PHA database of local PHA. Select your state and contact the PHA in your zip code nearest to you. Ask specifically and about NED vouchers or Certain Development Voucher.

Leave a comment if you have any questions and we will do our best to share our advice and experience in hopes of helping you get the information you need from your local PHA.