Transferring a Section 8 Voucher to Another State

Moving to another state for a fresh start can be an exciting time for you and your family. It’s the time when you start anew and have the opportunity to create long-lasting memories in a new place. It can also be stressful.

If you are a Section 8 voucher holder and would like to move to another state, there are a few things you need to do to make the process go as smoothly as possible.

This blog post will outline the steps you need to take to transfer your voucher to another state. Read on to learn more.

You Will Learn

What Is a Section 8 Voucher?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally-funded program that provides housing assistance to low-income families to access safe and affordable housing.

Under this program, participants are given vouchers that they can use to rent apartments or houses from participating landlords.

To be eligible for the program, families must meet specific criteria, including being below a certain income level and not having any prior evictions on their record.

How to Transfer Your Voucher to Another State

Here are the steps you need to take to transfer your voucher to another state:

Contact and Notify Your Housing Authority

You must first contact your housing authority and notify them of your intention to move. It will take about a month to process your voucher, so it is important to give them enough time.

Your housing authority will check if you are still qualified for the voucher. They will also verify if you have any outstanding debts or issues with your current housing.

If everything checks out, they will issue you a new voucher.

However, if you have any outstanding debts or issues with your current housing, you will need to take care of those first before your voucher can be processed.

Inform Your Landlord

You will also need to inform your landlord of your intention to move.

Your lease will usually have a clause stating the conditions under which you can break your lease. Be sure to check this so you know what you need to do. In most cases, you will need to give your landlord advanced notice (usually 30 days) and provide them with a written statement.

The Public Housing Agency usually sends over a transfer packet with a notice form that requires your landlord’s signature. PHAs do not allow you to transfer your voucher if your current lease is still active.

Housing Authority Verifies Your New Location

The second step is to verify your new location. Your housing authority will need to know where you plan on moving to, and they will need to confirm that there is a Section 8 voucher in the state or city to which you are transferring.

Once they have verified your new location, they proceed with the next step, which is obtaining the required documentation from your new housing authority.

If there is no branch of PHA in your new location, you cannot transfer your voucher.

Send Your Documents to the New Housing Authority

Once you get all the required documentation from your new housing authority, you will need to send it to your current housing authority.

Your current housing authority will then forward all the necessary documents to your new housing authority.

Here is some of the documentation you will need to send to your Portability Coordinator:

  • HUD-52665
  • HUD-50058
  • Birth certificates of all your family members
  • Social Security numbers and cards
  • Other photo IDs
  • Proof of your total household income

Ensure all the forms are correctly filled out and that you have included all the required documents. Incomplete or incorrect forms will delay the process.

If everything goes well, the process usually takes about a month or two. Your new housing authority will contact you once everything has been processed.

Some housing authorities may require a background check or an interview as part of their process. Be sure to follow all of their instructions to ensure a smooth transition.

Look for a New Home

Once approved, it’s time to start looking for a new home! It is important to note that some landlords do not accept Section 8 voucher holders. You need to confirm with the landlord if they do before you start looking at properties.

The best way to find a place is to search online on websites like or Zillow. You can also ask around for recommendations from friends or family.

When you have found a few houses you like, schedule viewings so you can see them in person. Once you have found the perfect new home, you need to let the local housing authority know so they can inspect the property and confirm that it meets all the requirements.

Once everything is approved, you can finally move in and start enjoying your new home!

Section 8 Restrictions

It’s essential to be aware of the restrictions of a Section 8 voucher.

For example, if you have been receiving HUD assistance for less than a year, you are not eligible to transfer your voucher.

Portability rules state that you must live in your current assisted unit for at least a year before you are eligible to transfer. Additionally, if you have been evicted from your current unit or have violated the terms of your lease, you will not be able to transfer your voucher.

The only exception is if you are a victim of domestic violence. Be sure to check with your current housing authority for a complete list of restrictions before you start the transfer process.


A Section 8 voucher can be a great way to get affordable housing. If you are considering moving to another state, it is possible to transfer your voucher.

However, there are a few steps you need to follow to do so. Feel free to look online or ask your local housing authority for more information on how to transfer your voucher to another state.

By following these steps, you’ll be sure to have a smooth transition and enjoy your new home in no time!